The University City community also known as “North City” includes the University of California, San Diego campus and its immediate surroundings. Notable recreational areas nearby include Torrey Pines State Reserve and the Torrey Pines Glider Port. The University City community has a high concentration of multistory condos and apartment units along with business parks and a major shopping mall called University Town Centre [UTC].
What Staff are Saying:
- Staff believed this community’s strengths were its proximity to shopping as well as its pet and family friendly attitude.
- Residents were less happy with its access to nightlife, entertainment and culture.
“It's mostly young families and college students. It seems pretty easy to fit into the community.”
- "Middle class values, very safe, good schools, diverse, convenient to beaches, shopping, Lindberg airport, city bus routes, downtown. Close to UCSD, Torrey Pines mesa, La Jolla.”
- “The army air base nearby. Once a year I think they practice for an air show, and it's a lot of noise. Otherwise, the noise of aircraft is only once in a while. I would also like a little more night life that I could get to on my bike.” [note, reference is most likely to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, located in Kearny Mesa/Mira Mesa]
- “Supermarkets are not within walking distance. No convenience store/supermarket "after hours" e.g. after 10 pm, within several miles. Community lacks a cultural/civic center. The walking trails in the canyons are kind of dangerous (loose dogs). No police station close by.”
For More Information: