Greater Golden Hill and South Park Area
Located on the southeast end of Balboa Park, Golden Hill is within walking distance of Downtown and City College. Residents enjoy some great views of downtown. The community’s buildings are architecturally eclectic and a significant number of homes and apartments date back prior to 1900. Many of the area’s homes have been restored, and much of the community has benefitted from the encouragement of historic preservation on the part of the Greater Golden Hill Community Development Corporation
Compared to the county average, Golden Hill is more densely populated and enjoys a less expensive housing and rental market. There are a high percentage of rental properties. More than half of the residents are Hispanic. There are more men than women, and more single people than the county average. The median family income is significantly below that of the county and the crime rate is just slightly above the city average.
There is a concentration of artists and musicians in this community, as many have been priced out of the more expensive neighboring communities. Golden Hill hosts two free outdoor concerts a year, the Golden Hill Block Party and Kate Sessions Fest.
South Park is a neighborhood within the Greater Golden Hill Community. South Park is notably more affluent than the rest of the community. This neighborhood has the feel of a small town within a city. There are about 40 businesses ranging from restaurants, to music venues and gift shops.
What Staff are Saying:
- Overall, residents of the Greater Golden Hill area seem enjoy peace and quiet, rating the noise level as excellent or above average. Also, residents seem to love Greater Golden Hill’s access to shopping malls and the beach. They did not, however, give high ratings to the selection of restaurants in Greater Golden Hill and its accessibility to public transportation.
- “The ethnic diversity of people and diversity of architecture, plus it is SO close to downtown and Balboa Park museums, park space and zoo.”
- “Neighbors and community activists, funky older houses--nothing cookie cutter about this area, diverse and accepting/welcoming community, art, bookstores, coffeehouses, proximity to downtown and balboa park dog friendly reasonably kid friendly.”
- “Being under the flight path but after two weeks the only time I "hear" airplanes is when they are NOT there because of fog.”
- “Dog owners not picking up after their dogs.”
For More Information: