Made up of just under 5 square miles and more than 20,000 residents, Serra Mesa is located perched above Mission Valley to the north. The majority of Serra Mesa’s homes were built in the 1950’s. Military multi-family housing was developed first and then in the 1970’s, additional single family homes and apartments, as well as retail establishments were erected. Today the military housing has been replaced with a town home village. The median family income for this community is close to that of the city has a whole. Homes tend to be lower than the city average.
The area is also home to the Children's Hospital of San Diego and to the Sharp Memorial Hospital complex.
What Staff are Saying:
- Overall, staff residing in Serra Mesa rated its nightlife and accessibility to the beach as excellent or above average. They also enjoy the entertainment and culture available in Serra Mesa, as well as the accessibility to various coffee shops and cafes. Lower ratings were given in respect to traffic and bike friendliness.
- “Few kids and families, pet friendly.”
- “Generally quiet, located in easy proximity to downtown, SDSU, UCSD & shopping centers; close to bus & trolley lines.”
- “Aircraft noise from Montgomery Field, parking is impossible, no grocery stores within walking distance.”
- “Air traffic - especially helicopters & small planes landing at Montgomery Field can be noisy. Homes are older, smaller & on fairly small lots.”
For More Information: