New York has Greenwich Village. San Francisco has the Castro. Vancouver has the West End. And San Diego has Hillcrest, our closest thing to a diverse, lively, hip and colorful neighborhood. This gay-friendly 'hood just north of Balboa Park is a mix of apartments and bungalows mixed with a pedestrian-friendly business district. Best Bets: Landmark Cinemas, any restaurant.
What Staff are Saying:
- Residents of Uptown gave the highest rating to its excellent parking conditions. They also gave accessibility to the beach as well as its noise above average ratings as well. Residents gave the lowest rating to the accessibility to coffee houses and cafes in Uptown. Staff were also generally disappointed in the quality of K-12 schools in Uptown.
- “Easy access to public transit, shopping, farmer's markets, great restaurants, libraries, cafes, clubs, and bars. Great for single people.”
- “A predominantly gay/lesbian neighborhood (great if that is your lifestyle).”
- “Can be an expensive area to live. Prepare to be asked for spare change a lot.”
- “There is no parking in my neighborhood... anywhere!”
For More Information: