The UC San Diego Library permits the consumption of beverages carried in covered containers and individual snack-size food items, except in designated areas.* All other foods and drinks are not permitted in the Library.
- Acceptable covered beverage containers include disposable coffee and soft drink cups with lids, plastic or glass bottles with twist-on lids, travel mugs, and sport-type water bottles. Lids should be kept on bottles and containers except when drinking.
- Acceptable food items include individual snack-size containers of chips, cookies, candy, and other snack foods; candy bars, granola bars and power bars; small containers of finger foods (e.g., cut fruits and vegetables, dried fruits and nuts, string cheese), and small whole fruits, such as apples or bananas.
- Unacceptable food items include anything that is hot, aromatic, potentially messy, or intended for consumption by more than one person (e.g., hot entrees, burgers, French fries, pizza, noodles, sub sandwiches, burritos, tacos, soup, salads, large-size bags or packages of chips, crackers, cookies, doughnuts, etc.).
*Designated areas where different policies are in place
- Mandeville Special Collections: No food or drinks permitted
- Near photocopiers, printers, and microfilm reader/printers: No food or drinks permitted
- Media workstations: No food or drinks permitted
- InfoStations and ACMS computer labs: Drinks only
- Instructional classrooms with computers: Drinks only
- Collections areas directly among books and other library materials: Food and drinks discouraged
Please be considerate of other library users when eating and drinking in the Library.
Report any spills to library staff immediately.