UC San Diego faculty, staff and students now have access to BrowZine. It’s a service that allows you to browse, organize, read and keep up with your favorite scholarly journals licensed by UC San Diego, either on your desktop/laptop via their website, or through an app on your mobile device. BrowZine covers arts, humanities, social science, engineering and science journals from hundreds of commercial, society, and university press publishers. We have licensed it through June 2018, at which point we will decide whether or not to continue licensing, based on usage, available funding, and user feedback.
VPN is required for using BrowZine from off campus, for the initial setup as well as accessing any articles. You can find instructions on Blink for installing the AnyConnect client on your desktop/laptop or configuring VPN your mobile device.
How BrowZine works:
- Search or browse for scholarly journals from hundreds of publishers like Elsevier, Wiley, Oxford University Press, and numerous professional societies like APA and IEEE.
- Add journals to your personal Bookshelf.
- As the new issues AND articles in press* are published, browse the article titles in your Bookshelf for journal articles for those that may be of interest.
- Articles in press (sometimes called ASAPs – “as soon as publishable” are available online weeks–even months–before assigned to an journal issue. So you can stay even more up to date on your reading.
- From the BrowZine app you can save articles, download for off-line reading, or export them into other services like Dropbox, EndNote, Mendeley, Papers, etc. From BrowZine.com, you can link out to the articles as if you were using UC-eLinks.
- Your Bookshelf will be synced across BrowZine.com and any mobile device where you have installed the app.
- You do not need to create an account if you just want to browse journals and issues, and read or (in the app) save articles. But an account is required to create the Bookshelf, whether to use in the app, the web, or both.
- On campus, you may need to use VPN to access articles in BrowZine, depending on your device. Some devices will work with the Protected-Wifi, some require VPN. Please let us know what is and isn’t working for you, and what kind of device (iOS or Android). At the very least, you should be able to add articles to your Saved Articles least to read later.