Welcome Tritons! Whether you are an incoming freshman, a transfer student, or a senior, here are some of the Top Ten Things you need to know about the UC San Diego Library’s spaces and services:
- The UC San Diego Library has two library buildings on campus –Geisel Library and Biomedical Library.
- Current hours can always be found online.
- Get to know Geisel. Sign up for a Welcome Week Tour.
- Geisel has a new Digital Media Lab. Edit videos, manipulate images, build media-rich websites, and much more in this high-tech space.
- Reserve study rooms with the touch of a button.
- Don’t know where to start? Use this handy webpage to find books in the Library, computer labs, printers, etc.
- Study space in Geisel is open 24/5 Sunday – Thursday and 24/7 during 10th and Finals Weeks.
- Borrow tech-items! Geisel’s new Tech Lending Program allows you to checkout essential items like calculators, flash drives, and phone or laptop chargers. You’ll also fun gadgets like Roku, Nikon still cameras, Sony Handycams, and GPS devices. View a full list of items here, or stop by the Geisel Media Desk on the 1st floor west.
- Know what’s going on at the Library at all times, from events to early closures, by connecting with us on social media.
- Still have questions? Save time and Ask a Librarian. Text them, chat online 24/7, discuss questions in-person, over the phone or via email. Subject librarians are on-hand to help you with your course-work and research assignments.
Good luck as you kick-off this new school year. Go Tritons!
If you thought that assessment projects can only be lists of questions, well…let the Library’s Learning Spaces Program (LSP) help you to think outside of the box – literally! Stop by the display on Geisel’s 1st Floor Southwest to see the results of LSP’s 2014 ‘Ideal Library’ Project. UCSD students were asked to use markers to draw and describe their ideal library on small white cardboard boxes. Actions resulting from the results of this initiative are presented on informational posters, along with the original boxes in display cases. This fun and creative assessment activity has informed LSP staff regarding the technology, furnishing, and de-stressing enhancements of interest and value to library users. We’re planning to conduct a similar activity again in the fall of 2015 to gather additional feedback from library users.
Walk-in Tours each Wednesday during July 2015 at 1 pm.
During August 2015, walk-in tours will begin at 2 pm.
A Tour guide will greet you in the lobby of the Geisel Library at the Information Desk
Tours for Current & Incoming UCSD Students and their Families & Other UCSD Affiliates may request a tour by completing the form at this link.
Visitors to the UC San Diego Library are requested to respect the needs of the campus community by minimizing interference, not blocking traffic, and keeping visits short. Tour groups are restricted to the 1st and 2nd floors of the building. Floors 4–8 are designated for quiet study.
Need to brainstorm alternate solutions to a problem? Want to draw out diagrams or work out equations visually? There are now multiple mobile whiteboards dispersed throughout floors one and two of the Geisel Library for student use while studying.
The Geisel East Learning Commons has a rack of hand held whiteboards that are available to be used in that area. Students may check out white board markers and erasers from the Circulation desk in the front lobby of Geisel Library.
What types of multimedia equipment or software do you need for your academic work?
Let us know at LearningSpaces@ucsd.edu.
Want to draw out diagrams or work out equations visually? There are now multiple mobile whiteboards dispersed throughout the Geisel East Learning Commons area for student use while studying. Students may check out white board markers and erasers from the Circulation desk in the front lobby of Geisel Library.
The Library Technology Checkout Program has received a donation of 7 high end Nikon 85mm and 135mm (with defocus) lenses, left over from a Google book scanning project.
We’ll be adding these and 5 new Nikon D7000s to our checkout program at the start of Fall quarter.
Send questions or comments to LSPtech@ucsd.edu
Forget your phone or laptop charger? Need a camera for your class project?
Can’t find a video adapter to connect your laptop?
Stop by the Geisel Media Desk in 1st floor west to checkout our collection of cables, chargers, cameras, and other tech tools.
A full list of items is available on our website, or by searching “tech lending” in roger.
Send questions, suggestions, and comments to LSPtech@ucsd.edu.
It’s the last week of classes before finals week. Find and reserve group study rooms in the Geisel Library and Biomedical Library Buildings online.
Our study rooms are equipped with whiteboards, electricity, and those on the first and second floors of Geisel include flat screen monitors that laptops can connect to. Many have beautiful views of campus and the surrounding landscape, as well as hydration stations with unlimited, filtered water in close proximity!
Need last minute help with your course projects and research papers?
The UC San Diego Library offers expert research assistance online 24/7 through our Ask a Librarian service. We have specialized research librarians in every discipline that are available to assist you online or in-person. You can even text message us for help.
Save time and energy – Ask a Librarian!