The HathiTrust Digital Library contains over 4.7 million titles, many of which are full text viewable and downloadable volumes. For UC-affiliated users who login, 3.6 million fully viewable books and journal volumes published pre-1923, as well as later public domain books, are available. Some volumes in the HathiTrust Digital Library are only available to search, but are not available as full text or for download.
To download PDFs from HathiTrust:
- Go to www.hathitrust.org.
- Click Login in the upper right. Select University of California, San Diego and click Continue.
- Choose Active Directory, then enter your username and password. You will be redirected to HathiTrust.
- Search the collection, with the Full text only box checked.
- Select the full view link next to the item in the search results.
- From the record view, select Download whole book (PDF) from the left column.
- If you did not login earlier, you will be prompted to do so at this point.
- Once your PDF is built, you can download it.
- At this time, you can only download the entire book or journal volume, rather than a single chapter or article. However, you can use Adobe Acrobat Pro or another PDF editor to delete the pages you don’t want.