05/01/2017 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Add to your iCal: iCal
Geisel Library, Seuss Room
The theme for this year’s UC San Diego Cesar Chavez Celebration is United, Resistant & Unafraid! Join the Library for a screening of the documentary Chicano Park. From the book Mediating History:
“This documentary traces the history of the San Diego Chicano community of Logan Heights, or Barrio Logan. This is a story of artists and community organizers who resisted the encroachment of freeways and urban development which divided their community. In the 1920s, Barrio Logan was the second largest Mexican-American community on the West Coast; but the community was uprooted during the Depression, when large numbers of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans were deported under US government policies intended to protect jobs for Anglos.
In the 1960s, Chicano community activists fought to build a park on a parcel of land under the freeway. Civic and cultural pride came together in an historical vision of the Southwest that traced its origins to the mythical Aztec homeland of Aztlan, located in what is now the US Southwest, and continues the settlement of the barrio in 1900. Community residents, artists and activists discuss the long process of creating Chicano Park, which was finally opened in 1970 on a freeway underpass. The park became the site for community events and expressions from cultural performances to murals.
This is a look at a community which set out to reclaim its cultural roots, land, and heritage.”
This event is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served.
For questions or more information, please contact Gayatri Singh at email@example.com.
Abrash, B., & Egan, C. (1992). Mediating history: The MAP guide to independent video by and about African American, Asian American, Latino, and Native American people. New York: New York University Press.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. The closest parking to the Geisel Library is the Hopkins parking structure. More information about parking on campus.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.