04/04/2017 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Add to your iCal: iCal
Geisel Library, Seuss Room
On April 4, 2017, more than 160 independent movie theaters in 148 cities across 42 states will collectively participate in a screening of the 80’s movie adaptation of George Orwell’s classic novel 1984. Join us at the UC San Diego Library in the Seuss Room from 5:00 – 7:00 pm for this special event.
The date of April 4th is significant to Orwell’s protagonist, Winston Smith, as it marks the beginning of his rebellion against Big Brother by writing in a forbidden diary. Smith (played by the late John Hurt) is a government employee whose job involves the rewriting of history in a manner that casts his fictional country’s leaders in a charitable light. His trysts with Julia (Suzanna Hamilton) provide his only measure of enjoyment, but lawmakers frown on the relationship — and in this closely monitored society, there is no escape from Big Brother.
To view a full list of participating cinemas, click here.
This event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Serafin Raya at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. The closest parking to the Geisel Library is the Hopkins parking structure. More information about parking on campus.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.