03/02/2017 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Add to your iCal: iCal
UC San Diego, Geisel Library
Thursday, March 2, 2017
@ noon in front of Geisel Library
The party, hosted by University Librarian Brian E. C. Schottlaender, is open to Dr. Seuss fans both on and off campus. Birthday festivities include a giant inflatable Cat in the Hat as well as free cake and Seussian musical entertainment by The Teeny Tiny Pit Orchestra, directed by the Library’s Scott Paulson. In addition to the birthday party, a modest exhibit of materials from the Dr. Seuss Collection will be on view from February 4 through March 24, 2017 in Geisel Library.
In 1991, the UC San Diego Library’s Mandeville Special Collections became the official repository for the original works of Dr. Seuss. The Dr. Seuss Collection now holds more than 15,000 items, including original drawings, sketches, manuscript drafts, books, notebooks, photographs and memorabilia, documenting the full range of Geisel’s creative achievements, from his high school activities in 1919 through his death in 1991. Of special note are several of the original cartoon drawings Geisel made for PM magazine in the early 1940s. Currently quite popular in the American press and on the internet, many of the cartoons lampoon the “America First” movement, an isolationist and non-interventionist group active during World War II, as well as the “GOPstrich,” offspring of the G.O.P and the Isolation Ostrich, who campaigns against all progress.
In 1995, Audrey Geisel made a substantial donation to support the university’s Library, which was subsequently named Geisel Library. In 2015, Audrey Geisel made a $3 million donation to the Library to refurbish the building’s main public spaces. With her generous gift, the Library launched the Geisel Library Revitalization Initiative (GLRI), which seeks to revitalize the interior public spaces within the library building.
For more information about the Dr. Seuss Collection at the UC San Diego Library, visit: http://lib.ucsd.edu/dr-seuss-collection.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. The closest parking to the Geisel Library is the Hopkins parking structure. More information about parking on campus.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.