02/23/2017 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Add to your iCal: iCal
Geisel Library, Seuss Room
What influences how we see and interpret other people? How are our perceptions of social groups created and shaped, sometimes before we meet an individual within that group? How are stereotypes formed, and what factors allow them to progress to prejudice and discrimination?
Thursday, February 23, 2017
Geisel Library, Seuss Room
5:00 – 6:30 PM
UC San Diego students Jinnie Chang and Naeemah Munir are familiar with implicit bias, and have witnessed first-hand how it can play out in health care settings. They will discuss how participants can uncover their own implicit bias—and will shed light on how bias can affect health outcomes and how bias among healthcare professionals can perpetuate health disparities among marginalized groups. The first step to uncovering implicit bias is to acknowledge and accept our own personal biases.
JINNIE CHANG is a second-year medical student at UC San Diego. She served as a general manager of the UCSD Student-run Free Clinic Project and has been working to address food insecurity in the free clinic population. One of the founding members of Medical Students for Justice, Jinnie received her B.A. in Political Science and Public Policy from UC Berkeley in 2009. Email: email@example.com
NAEEMAH MUNIR is a third-year medical student at UC San Diego, and a cohort member of Programs in Medical Education-Health Equity. She is the director of community outreach and diversity for the student council class of 2018, and one of the founding members of Medical Students for Justice. Naeemah received B.S. and M.P.H. degrees in environmental studies and environmental health from Emory University in 2012. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn your implicit bias status, by taking the Implicit Association Test at implicit.harvard.edu.
This free event is open to the public.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. The closest parking to the Geisel Library is the Hopkins parking structure. More information about parking on campus.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.