Two more online reference works from Science Direct (Elsevier) are now available to the UCSD community. Each work is fully searchable, and the articles are available as PDFs and can be downloaded to e-readers. Each article has an extensive bibliography, and you’ll also get a list of related articles from the Science Direct journals.
POLYMER SCIENCE: A COMPREHENSIVE REFERENCE covers everything from the fundamental concepts to new findings and applications of polymer science.
- The volumes (and sample chapters):
- Basic Concepts and Polymer Properties (Polymer Synthesis, Rubberlike Elasticity, Molecular Dynamics Simulations in Polymer Science)
- Polymer Characterization (Solid-State NMR of Polymers, X-Ray Scattering, Scanning Probe Microscopy of Polymers, Calorimetry)
- Chain Polymerization of Vinyl Monomers (Controlled and Living Radical Polymerization, Cationic Polymerization of Polar Monomers, Alkyne Polymerization)
- Ring-Opening Polymerization and Special Polymerization Processes (Thermodynamic and Kinetic Polymerizability, Organocatalyzed Ring-Opening Polymerizations, Photopolymerization)
- Polycondensation (Nonlinear Polycondensates, Biodegradable Polyesters, High-Performance Heterocyclic Polymers, Metal-Containing Macromolecules)
- Macromolecular Architectures and Soft Nano-Objects (Polymer Nanogels and Microgels, Dynamic Supramolecular Polymers, Conformation-Dependent Design of Synthetic Functional Copolymers, Molecular Brushes)
- Nanostructured Polymer Materials and Thin Films (Block Copolymer Thin Films, Polymer Nanomechanics, Assemblies of Polymer-Based Nanoscopic Objects)
- Polymers for Advanced Functional Materials (Polymer-Based Sensors, Nanocomposites and Hybrid Materials, Polymer-Based LEDs and Solar Cells, Adhesives and Sealants)
- Polymers in Biology and Medicine (Collagen, Artificial Proteins, Biological Adhesion, Polymeric Implants, Nucleic Acid Delivery via Polymer Vehicles, Biodegradation of Polymers)
- Polymers for a Sustainable Environment and Green Energy (Processing Soy Protein Concentrate as Plastic in Polymer Blends, Biocomposites: Long Natural Fiber-Reinforced Biopolymers, Aqueous Emulsion Polymers, Sustainable Management of Material and Energy Resources, Polymers in Membrane Electrode Assemblies, Polymers for Thin Film Capacitors: Energy Storage – Li Conducting Polymers)
COMPREHENSIVE RENEWABLE ENERGY is the first major reference work to focus on renewable energy and development. Each section covers the history, science and technology, and the potential (and in many cases economics and policies) of each type of renewable energy.
- The volumes (and sample chapters):
- Photovoltaic Solar Energy (History of Photovoltaics, Vision for Photovoltaics in the Future, Principles of Solar Energy Conversion. Artificial Leaves: Towards Bio-Inspired Solar Energy Converters. Design and Components of Photovoltaic Systems, Solar Power Satellites)
- Wind Energy (Wind Energy Potential, Energy Yield of Contemporary Wind Turbines, Wind Energy Economics, Environmental-Social Benefits/Impacts of Wind Power, Aerodynamic Analysis of Wind Turbines)
- Solar Thermal Systems: Components and Applications (History of Solar Energy, Photovoltaic/Thermal Solar Collectors, Modeling and Simulation of Passive and Active Solar Thermal Systems, Solar Space Heating and Cooling Systems, Passive Solar Architecture)
- Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Technology (Current Perspective on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells, Hydrogen Economics and Policy, Solid Oxide Fuel Cells: Theory and Materials, Hydrogen and Fuel Cells in Transport, Future Perspective on Hydrogen and Fuel Cells)
- Biomass and Biofuel Production (Biomass Power Generation, Ethics of Biofuel Production, Biomass Gasification and Pyrolysis, Renewable Fuels: An Automotive Perspective, Biomass to Chemicals, Biofuels from Waste Materials, Bioenergy Policy Development)
- Hydro Power (Hydro Power – Introduction, Management of Hydropower Impacts through Construction and Operation, Large Hydropower Plants of Brazil, Hydropower Development in Japan, Durability Design of Concrete Hydropower Structures)
- Geothermal Energy (The Physics of Geothermal Energy, Geochemical Aspects of Geothermal Utilization, Geothermal Power Plants. Sustainable Energy Development: The Role of Geothermal Power)
- Ocean Energy (Resource Assessment for Wave Energy, Air Turbines, Economics of Ocean Energy)