The Visual History Archive, created by the USC Shoah Foundation Institute, is an online collection of approximately 52,000 testimonies of Holocaust survivors and witnesses, recorded in 56 countries and 32 languages. Students, teachers and community members can search for testimonies by name, place, experience or event, among other topics, to supplement research projects, enhance classroom activities and even uncover personal family histories.
The Archive includes interviews from: Jewish survivors, Jehovah’s Witness survivors, homosexual survivors, Roma and Sinti (Gypsy) survivors, survivors of eugenics policies, political prisoners, liberators and liberation witnesses, rescuers and aid-providers, war crimes trials participants.
How to use the Archive:
Anyone can access the Visual History Archive from a UCSD Library public workstation, ACS computer lab, or from an other computer physically connected to the UCSD campus. On-campus wireless access is possible through the UCSD-protected wireless network, but viewing of actual video will be unreliable. UCSD students, faculty and staff who are off campus, by using the Proxy Server or VPN, can search the Archive and view survivor profiles, and request video from off campus, but the testimony itself can only be viewed on campus
Follow these steps to explore the Archive’s compelling testimonies:
Click Here for instructions
- From the Libraries homepage, click on the link entitled Databases A-Z;
- Scroll down to the Visual History Archive and click this link to be taken to the Archive’s main page;
- If you are a new user, follow the prompts to create a personal account and enter the website;
- If using a library computer, use your headphones to hear the testimonies. (If you do not have your own headphones, anyone with a UCSD library card may check them out from the Geisel Library circulation desk, but supply is limited.)
- If connecting from off campus, you will need to use the VPN (Virtual Private Network) Instructions available here
Technical Requirements for your own computer:
Microsoft Windows Media Player Ver. 9 or later;
Microsoft Internet Explorer Ver. 6 or later;
Firefox 3 or later (requires Windows Media Player plugin);
400 MHz or faster processor;
MB (or more) memory
OS X 10.3.9 or later;
QuickTime 7 or later (7.1.6 or later recommended);
Flip4Mac WMV Components for QuickTime;
Safari 3 or later;
G4 or G5 processor;
256 MB (or more) memory
Please contact Susanne Hillman for more information about using the Archive or to report your requests for testimony videos and when you have finished watching them.