The Biomedical Library Information Commons is a unique learning facility which enhances both the educational achievement and personal growth of UCSD students. It provides a high degree of professional support, an extensive range of technology-rich services and resources, and an environment especially designed to promote creative thinking, peer group collaboration and spontaneous innovation.
The Commons is designed to stimulate the highest and best thinking processes of our students by providing the following resources:
- Technology: State of the art hardware and an extensive range of basic and sophisticated software provide abundant opportunities for student creativity & discovery.
- Services: Professional level reference, technical and educational assistance & support are provided by reference librarians, service consultants and numerous classes and tutoring opportunities.
- Collaboration: Special furniture, lounge areas and a relaxed environment encourage stu dent collaboration, interaction, and the consequent development of ideas.
- Content: Immediate access to links that make hundreds of online databases, books, and journals instantly available for student research projects, which when combined with special software and research assistance, facilitate the process of project development.
- Environment: The Commons has an environment which is scholarly, yet informal; comfortable, expansive, quiet, nurturing, supportive, visually impressive, motivating, and inspiring.
The Information Commons is a place for students to ~
- get technology support
- receive research assistance
- attend technology and research classes
- and work in groups together on course assignments