Care of the Library Collections:
Your Role as Library Staff
By handling books and journals with concern, you are actively preserving the
- Use proper shelving and handling techniques
- Handle materials correctly at the photocopy machines
- Do not eat or drink when working with library materials
- Refer damaged material for proper repair
- Do not use metal clips, rubber bands, or Post-it Notes® improperly
You can further assist the preservation effort by being aware of conditions that are
damaging to the library materials and by helping to educate library users.
- Help enforce the "Food and Drink" policy
- Learn to identify materials in need of help (e.g. brittle paper, pests)
- Report potential disaster situations
- Be aware of environmental conditions
- Help educate users in what they can do to help preserve library materials
We all have an individual role and responsibility to help preserve the Libraries'
collections. Please join in the Preservation Program and help to make a difference!
Return to Preservation Guidelines.