Preservation Scenario 3
You have several books that are due at the library today. It's
raining very hard. Would you -
- wrap them in newspaper before leaving the house
- take the books back at a later date when it's not raining and
pay the overdue fine
- put the books in a plastic bag before starting out
- put the books under your jacket to protect them
- carry the books in the hand that's not holding your umbrella
Answer: B and C. It's always a good idea to protect books
from the elements, particularly the rain. Bindings will be
spotted by the rain. In extreme cases the paper of the book can
become very wet and fall victim to mold if not dried properly.
UCSD Preservation Program, 1989
Return to previous page.