Productivity Workstations (most of the library computers)
- Require student, staff, or faculty login via Active Directory/ACMS account.
- Offer a full range of research and productivity software, including Microsoft Office.
- Small selection of workstations available for non-affiliates via staff login in Geisel West Learning Commons (2nd Floor); see Research Assistance Desk for help and login.
- Configured and serviced by Academic Computing & Media Services (ACMS) under the coordination of Library’s Learning Spaces Program.
- Workstations are updated and rebooted each night and whatever user data is on the hard drive is erased. Back up your work on a flash drive or CD, or send yourself the files by email.
- Geisel East Learning Commons (2nd Floor): PCs only, color & black/white printers
- Geisel West Learning Commons (2nd Floor): PCs only, color & black/white printers
- Geisel West Computer Lab (1st Floor): Macs & PCs, black/white printer
- Geisel Tunnel Computer Lab (1st Floor): Macs & PCs, color & black/white printers
- Biomedical Library Building Learning Commons (1st Floor): Macs & PCs, color & black/white printers
- Open to the public without login.
- Offer Internet access, but not word processing or other Office programs.
- Intended for library and research activity; priority given to UC faculty, staff, and students, and those using government resources.
- 20-minute time limit when others are waiting.
- Major file formats are supported and printing, downloading, and e-mailing results are available.
- Configured and serviced by Library Information Technology Services under the coordination of Library’s Learning Spaces Program.
- Workstations are updated and rebooted each night and whatever user data is on the hard drive is erased.
- Geisel Entrance (2nd Floor): Also black/white printers
- Geisel Tower Floors 4–8
- Geisel East Learning Commons (2nd Floor): Also color & black/white printers
- Geisel West near Media Desk (1st Floor): Also black/white printer
- Biomedical Library Building Entrance (1st Floor): Also black/white printer; color printer in nearby Learning Commons
- Biomedical Library Building (2nd Floor)
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
- Four docking stations are available in the Geisel East Learning Commons (2nd Floor) for those bringing their own laptop, but who wish to use a full-size keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
- These stations are offer VGA, DVI, Displayport, and mini-Displayport (apple thunderbolt) video hookups.
- Peer Consultants at the nearby service desk can provide assistance, as needed.
- Visit the campus wireless overview or see more details on wireless connectivity and printing in the library.
Laptops for Checkout
- The Biomedical Library Building (BLB) offers 5 wireless-equipped laptops for 3-hour checkout and use within the library to UC San Diego faculty, staff, medical students, and graduate students.
- These Windows laptops provide wireless Internet access and Microsoft Office applications.
- Contact BLB Front Desk at (858) 534-3253 with questions.
- Details about multimedia production & editing in the Library.
- Information on ACMS’s Media Teaching Lab.
Media Viewing Stations
- Workstations for viewing audio/visual materials held by the Library or on course reserves are available in Geisel West (1st Floor). See details.
- Visit the nearby Media Desk for details and assistance.
- 3 group viewing rooms are also available Geisel West (1st Floor) for viewing these materials.
Data & GIS Lab
- See details about specialty computing available in Data & GIS Lab.
General ACMS Resources
- UC San Diego faculty, staff, and students may use other general access computer labs located throughout campus. Faculty may also reserve some of these labs for limited times during the quarter for classes.
- Browse ACMS software available around campus.
- ACMS Help Desk.
- Visit the ACMS computer labs page to browse all computers, software, and printers in the Library and across campus.
- See ACMS student resources.
- ACMS live computer use maps.
- See a listing of all ACMS computer labs, along with hours, hardware, software, and printers in each.
- Details on printing from ACMS computer labs.
Questions or Problems?
Last revised: S. McAvoy, 5/1/2014