Digital Content

This collection has been digitized and can be viewed through links in the container list.

Abstract

The Camp Matthews buildings photographs, documented by Office of the Vice Chancellor, Facilities Design and Construction, include black and white negatives and a selection of oversize prints taken after Camp Matthews closed operations in 1964 and building modifications through 1967.

Administrative History

Camp Matthews was established in 1918 as a U.S. Marine rifle range under the command of Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego. It was called the Marine Rifle Range, La Jolla from 1918 until 1942, when it was renamed Camp Matthews after Brigadier General Calvin B. Matthews. The University's initial plans for Camp Matthews area included the use of permanent buildings as temporary administrative offices and the construction on the site of the new School of Medicine. The Office of Architects and Engineers coordinated the work on the first building in 1965. Campus administrative offices, principally housed in Building B of First College, moved to the Matthews area in 1965, except for the Office of the Chancellor.

The Office of Architects and Engineers was responsible for the overall coordination of the building program from the time a project is assigned a priority in the University's statewide building program to the time it is completed and equipped. The office opened in 1957 under the direction of J.W.Tippetts, Building Program Coordinator and head of the department. He was replaced by Mac Alfred Cason, Chief Architect for Los Angeles County in 1960, as Chief Campus Architect.

Beginning in the mid-1970s with the reorganization of campus planning and building, the Office of Architects and Engineers was absorbed into Facilities Design & Construction unit and overal campus planning. The Facilities Design and Construction office is the primary service provider charged with the implementation of the Capital Improvement Program including project programming, planning, schematic design, design development, construction documents, and construction administration for all capital improvements.

Scope and Contents

The PHOTOGRAPHS series comprises approximately 44 black and white 2-1/4" negatives of Camp Matthews buildings between 1964-1967. Additionally, a few of the negatives produced oversize prints.

Box Folder Oversize
1 1 Negatives.

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall, (interior), Building No.249, 1964

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall, (exterior), Building No.249, 1964

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall, (exterior rear), Building No.249, 1964

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall, (exterior front), Building No.210, 1964

Camp Matthews, Post Exchange, Building No.254, 1964

Camp Matthews, View of Barracks and Motor Transport, Building No.403-348, 1964

Camp Matthews, Noncommissioned Officers Club, Dispensary, Building No.250, 1964

Camp Matthews, Noncommissioned Officers Club, Dispensary, Building No.250, 1964

Camp Matthews, Storehouses, Building No.235, No.264, No.265, 1964

Camp Matthews, Recreation Center, (side view), Building No.492, 1964

Camp Matthews, Recreation Center, (entrance), Building No.492, 1964

Camp Matthews, Post Office, Building No.262, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Warehouse, Building No.252, 1964

Camp Matthews, Guardhouse, Building No.256, 1964

Camp Matthews, Guardhouse, (interior), Building No.257, 1964

Camp Matthews, Chapel, Classroom and Transient Officers Quarters, Building No.269, 1964

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall Cook Barracks, Building No.258, 1964

Camp Matthews, Weapons Training (Battalion (BN) House), Building No.255, 1964

Camp Matthews, Combat training pool, Building No.352A, 1964

Camp Matthews, Gymnasium, (interior), Building No.352, 1964

Camp Matthews, Gymnasium, (interior), Building No.352, 1964

Camp Matthews, Gymnasium, Building No.352, Locker room; view of troops in formation, 1964

Camp Matthews, Gymnasium, Boiler Room, Building No.352, 1964

Camp Matthews, Bowling Alley Building, (roof top), Building No.353; view of Rifle Range; Lecture Halls, Building No.488; Quonset Huts, 1964

Camp Matthews, Bowling Alley Building, (roof top), Building No.353; view of B-Gate, 1964

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall, (exterior), Building No.210, 1964

Camp Matthews, Mess Hall, Kitchen, (interior), Building No.210, 1964

Camp Matthews, Administration Headquarters, including Commanding Officers office, Building No.251, 1964

Camp Matthews, Lecture Halls, Building No.488, No.489, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, Gun magazine, Building No.237G, 1964

Camp Matthews, Barracks, Building No.223, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Barracks, Building No.209, No.223; Gas Station, Building No.526, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Barracks, Building No.234, No.235, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Bowling Alley, (exterior), Building No.354, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, shed, storage, 1964

Camp Matthews, Bowling Alley, (interior), Building No.353, 1964

Camp Matthews, Rifle range, Sound shed, Building No.342, 1964

1 1 FB-216-02 Oversize Photographs.


Finding aid generated: 2013-05-21