Journal Article Databases for Oceanography, Earth & Marine Sciences
- AQUATIC SCIENCES AND FISHERIES ABSTRACTS (ASFA)
- ASFA is a premier reference for aquatic resources, covering over 5,000 serial publications, books, reports, conference proceedings, etc. Coverage is from the early 1900s to present, mainly in the areas of aquaculture, aquatic organisms, aquatic pollution, conservation, fisheries, freshwater environments, marine biotechnology, policy and legislation, and wildlife management.
- LibGuide for ASFA
- ARCTIC & ANTARCTIC REGIONS (AAR)
- AAR indexes & provides some abstracts on polar & non-polar cold regions. AAR goes back to 1800 and earlier (depending on the component database) and indexes periodicals, books, conference proceedings, reports, & theses/dissertations. Includes NSF's Antarctic Bibliography.
- BIOSIS Citation Index
- BIOSIS Citation Index is an excellent database for biology topics. BIOSIS coverage is from 1926 to present and it includes around 6000 journals, conference proceedings, books, & technical reports in all aspects of biological sciences including biological oceanography, developmental biology, ecology, marine biology, molecular biology, and psychology. Use the "Cited Reference Search" tab on top of screen to search for lists of articles citing your reference.
How to set up email alerts
- CHEMICAL ABSTRACTS (CA)/ SCIFINDER SCHOLAR
- CA indexes over 8,000 serials and patents in the chemical literature back to 1907. Chemical Abstracts is comprehensive for chemistry; search for marine chemistry, geochemistry, natural product chemistry, biochemistry, etc. Includes structure and substructure searching.
- COMPENDEX indexes & abstracts 4500 journals & 2000 conference proceedings as well as books & technical reports for engineering including ocean engineering & technology, coastal engineering, etc from 1884+.
- Search Tips
- DISSERTATIONS & THESES
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses: From 1861-present. Database of citations to doctoral dissertations & master's theses from 1,000+ universities. Abstracts for dissertations 1980-present; master's theses 1988-present. Full-text of most UC dissertations published 1996 and later.
- ENTREZ is a group of databases from NCBI for genetic sequencing, structures, genomes. Includes PubMed (Medline)
- GeoRef indexes over 3500 serial publications in geology, seismology, marine geology, geophysics, geological maps, etc from 1785+ for North America & from 1933+ for outside North America. Abstracts are available from core journals for the last few years.
- INSPEC indexes and abstracts over 4200 journals & over 2000 conference proceedings as well as books and technical reports in physics, electronics, & computing including geophysics, physical oceanography, instrumentation, ocean acoustics, computers, electronics, some climatology, etc back to 1898.
- How to set up email alerts
MARINLIT is a database dedicated to marine natural products research, it was established in the 1970s and has evolved to contain unique searchable features and powerful dereplication tools. You can search by bibliographic information, taxonomy, location, chemical structure and physical property data. Provides comprehensive coverage of marine natural products in journal articles, including new and revised compounds, synthesis, ecology and biological activities. It is also text and structure searchable
MATHSCINET indexes the mathematics literature from 1940+. Review texts are available from 1980+. MathSciNet is a great place to search for modelling & statistical methods in oceanography, climatology, ecology, etc.
- MGA indexes & abstracts over 600 journals & other series as well as books & conference proceedings on meteorology, climatology, air pollution, astrophysics, atmospheric chemistry & physics, physical oceanography, hydrology, glaciology, and weather forecasting, from 1950s to present.
- PAIS INTERNATIONAL
- PAIS International contains continually updated records for over half a million journal articles, books, government documents, statistical directories, grey literature, research reports, conference papers, web content, and more, on public affairs and policy from 1972+. Coverage includes conservation, energy resources, marine policy, coastal zone development, etc. and newly available the PAIS Archive, a retrospective conversion of the PAIS Annual Cumulated Bulletin, published 1915-1976.
- WANT MORE? Databases A-Z LIST
- The UC San Diego Library's Databases A-Z List is the complete list of abstracting and indexing databases, in all fields, available for UCSD access; titles above are a Scripps-oriented selection, and a fraction of what is available.