Open Access Week 2013 (October 21-27) is almost here! An international event, Open Access Week will begin on October 21 with a kickoff webinar, “Open Access: Redefining Impact,” hosted by Heather Joseph, Executive Director of SPARC. Among the topics to be discussed are Article Level Metrics (ALMs) and changing the way scholarly communication is measured. The speakers will include:
- Dr. Stefano Bertuzzi, Executive Director of the American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB)
- Brett Bobley, Chief Information Officer for the National Endowment for the Humanities
- Dr. Kathleen Fitzpatrick, Director of Scholarly Communication of the Modern Language Association
- Dr. Cameron Neylon, Advocacy Director for Public Library of Science
- Dr. Michael Stebbins, Assistant Director for Biotechnology in the Science Division of the White House Office of Science & Technology Policy
This webinar will be streamed from 12 noon to 1 pm PST in the Seuss Room at Geisel Library. Please join us if you can.
On October 22, from 3:30-5 pm, the UC San Diego Library is hosting a panel discussion for graduate students and others called “Demystifying Open Access.” The purpose of this discussion, geared towards graduate students, is to focus on issues such as the basics of Open Access (OA), the OA lingo ((“green OA” vs. “gold OA,” “APCs,” “funder mandates,” etc.), and the pros and cons of making your dissertation or thesis available via open access.
The speakers will include:
- Dr. Eric Bakovic, Professor and Director of Graduate Studies, Linguistics Department
- Dr. Kim Barrett, Dean of Graduate Studies and Professor of Medicine
- Dr. Maryann Martone, Co-Director of the National Center for Microscopy and Imaging Research, and Professor in Residence in the Department of Neurosciences
- Dr. Stefan Tanaka, Professor of Communication and Director of the Center for the Humanities
This discussion will also take place in the Seuss Room at Geisel Library. Please join us for this illuminating discussion by some of the campus’s most knowledgeable people in this area. Pizza and water will be served.