Starting Spring Quarter, check out, return and pick up all S&E books, including Reserves and Interlibrary Loans, at the Geisel Main Lobby Circulation Desk. The S&E Reference Desk remains open, with librarians to assist you in person and online. More information.
S&E hours for Dec 14-18:
Mon-Thurs (Dec 14-17): 8am-7:45pm, and the building closes at 8pm
Fri (Dec 18): 8am-5:45pm, and the building closes at 6pm
Starting Saturday, Dec 19, all of the UCSD Libraries will be closed until Sunday, January 3.
The UCSD Libraries (including S&E) will be closed for the Thanksgiving break: Nov. 26-28. Unlike previous years, none of the library buildings will be open those 2 days after Thanksgiving.
Wed, 11/25 – 8am-5:45pm (closing early)
Thurs, 11/26 – Closed
Fri, 11/27 – Closed
Sat, 11/28 – Closed
Sun, 11/29 – 10am-11:45pm
This week, S&E is changing from our current debit card system for printing and copying to an account-based system, with the other libraries to follow in the coming days.
More information about the new printing/copying card system.
- UCSD affiliates: you will use your campus photo ID or departmental cards in the libraries; you will no longer need a separate card just for the library equipment. Students: this change does not affect the ACS computers in S&E, and you’ll still use your student printing accounts for those computers.
- Non-UCSD users: you will continue to be able to print and copy using guest cards.
For six months after the new system is installed, we will have stations available to transfer value from your old Imprints debit cards to the new system.
Advantages of the new system:
- Students, Faculty, Staff and Affiliates may use their Campus Photo ID to access departmental index numbers and personal print accounts and will no longer have to carry another card for library printing and copying. However, you will need to have your card with you and make sure the magnetic strip isn’t damaged.
- If your card is lost or stolen, you can cancel it and not lose your money. The value will be transferred to your new card.
- Departments will have more flexibility for giving authorized users the ability to print/copy on index numbers.
Mon-Thurs, Dec 15-18: 8am – 7:45pm (building closes at 8pm)
Fri, Dec 19: 8am – 5:45pm (building closes at 6pm)
Sat-Sun, Dec 20-21: 10am – 5:45pm (building closes at 6pm)
Interested in receiving copies of articles and chapters from the S&E print collection electronically, without leaving your office or lab?
This quarter, the Science & Engineering Library is making our Avanti desktop delivery service available to the Jacobs School of Engineering, providing free desktop delivery of journal articles and book chapters from the S&E Library print collection to JSOE faculty, staff, academic researchers and graduate students. This service normally costs $3.50 per article, but the S&E Library is supporting a pilot program for the quarter to determine your interest and potential use of Avanti. If there is positive response, we will pursue a funding proposal to support ongoing Avanti service.
Information about the Avanti desktop delivery service is at http://scilib.ucsd.edu/avanti/local.html, with details on how to sign up, how to request articles, and where to locate the scanned articles that you’ve requested. We hope you’ll sign up now and take advantage of this pilot.
If you have additional questions about Avanti, please contact Peter Devine in the S&E Document Delivery/Interlibrary Loan unit at email@example.com or 534-1219, or Deborah Kegel, Collections Coordinator & Interlibrary Loan Librarian, 534-1215.