This new video series from ACS Publications is intended to assist authors and reviewers in understanding and improving their experience with the processes of writing, submitting, editing, and reviewing manuscripts with topics like:
- The essential elements of a scientific journal article
- Ethical guidelines for authors and reviewers
- Criteria to consider when selecting a suitable journal for submission
- Writing a good cover letter
- Suggesting peer reviewers
- Responding to reviewer comments and editorial decisions
- Guidance for authors who may need assistance with English language writing skills.
In the first video, How to Write a Paper to Communicate your Research, ACS asks Harvard professor George Whitesides:
- When should you begin to think about writing up your research for publication?
- How do your students handle your approach of writing while you research?
- How do new technologies help scientists communicate their work?
- How many drafts does each paper undergo? Do you have your papers undergo an internal review?
- Do authors need to be thinking of marketing their articles?
- How concerned should I be about the title and abstract of my papers?