Exhibition Loan Policy
Conditions of Loan
The Mandeville Special Collections Library may lend materials from its collections to recognized institutions, such as libraries and museums, with professional staff who are proficient in exhibiting the materials requested, subject to the stipulations enumerated below. In addition, approval for each loan will depend on the condition, the physical nature, the scarcity, and the research value of the requested material, as well as on the duration of the loan and other factors involving scholarship and preservation.
Loans are limited in duration to three months or less. Items are not loaned for traveling exhibitions.
- The borrower will sign a Loan Agreement prior to delivery of the requested material to the borrower.
- The borrower will pay all loan fees prior to delivery of the requested material to the borrower.
- The borrower will receive, store and display the items in a secure, environmentally sound area. A signed and completed facilities report must be submitted and approved prior to any loan agreement. The exhibit area must have air conditioning and humidity controls that maintain temperature between 60-70 degrees (± 5 degrees in 24 hours) and between 40-50% relative humidity (± 5% in 24 hours). Lighting must be filtered so that the material is subject to UV exposure lower than 75 microwatts/lumen. Appropriate 24-hour security of the exhibition spaces and storage/preparation areas must be provided, including intrusion alarm systems and locked cases or tamper-resistant mountings. Automatic fire detection and suppression systems must be in place.
- The borrower will assume all expenses for transporting the materials to and from the exhibition site. These expenses may include airfare, lodging, and meals for a UCSD courier, or other shipping arrangements depending on the extent and nature of the material being lent. A late fee of $50/day will accrue for materials returned beyond the contractual date of return.
- The borrower will insure the lent items for their collective value as established by UCSD. Coverage will begin upon removal of the material from UCSD's Geisel Library and end upon its return there. Proof of insurance must be provided prior to delivery of the requested material to the borrower.
- The borrower will apply accepted archival practice in the handling and installation of borrowed materials. Installation must follow reversible techniques. All flat materials will be lent in a matted and/or framed condition whenever practical; matting and framing will be provided by the Mandeville Special Collections Library at the expense of the borrower. Borrowed items must be displayed and returned in the frames provided, in the same condition in which they were received and packaged in the same or similar housing. The borrower agrees to pay all costs associated with restoration of items returned in damaged condition
- The borrower will not duplicate, or permit others to duplicate, borrowed material without the explicit permission of the Mandeville Special Collections Library and of copyright holders. This stipulation applies to photographing exhibited materials on display or to preparing or broadcasting images for promotion or publicity. Such permission must be sought in writing.
- The borrower will give full credit to the Mandeville Special Collections Library in all publicity concerning the exhibition, including labels, catalogs, press releases, and promotional broadcasts, and will provide the lender with a complimentary copy of any catalogs or publicity materials created for the exhibition.
Requests to borrow material must be submitted in writing to the Director of the Mandeville Special Collections Library at least three months prior to shipment. The written request should indicate the scope, duration and audience of the exhibition; list the items to be considered for loan; provide a brief description of the institution and its clientele; and include a preliminary facilities report outlining the security and environmental controls in place.
Exhibition loan fees are determined by the quantity of borrowing. A base fee of $250 applies for every exhibition loan.
All fees are due in advance.
Additional costs, including matting, shipping or courier expenses, may also apply.