Responses were chosen because they represent the sentiments of a group of respondents and/or the creators of this website felt that the comment was of particular value.
What's something you think someone new to San Diego County needs to know?
Excerpts from the Survey:
- You don't really need winter clothes. Different beaches have very different atmospheres, family friendly include Torrey Pines and La Jolla Shores.
- Commute times vary heavily depending on rush hour traffic
- well it is expensive as far as housing. but there are places that you can get good deals
- We have seasons: there are always different flowering trees in bloom (jacaranda, parrot beak coral, gold medalion, Hong Kong orchid, etc)
- Each community is slightly different, so look very carefully about lifestyle and not just commute time.
- Due to the moderate weather and therefore less of a need for cooling/heating energy, you are likely to spend less on utilities than in many parts of the country.
- San Diego is a desert. All the water used to make things green is imported. Be water conscious.
- there is a great diversity of communities; investigate them and find one that best suits you before settling in
- Politically, SD is a conservative city
- Using public transportation is challenging. It takes determination and the willingness to compromise. But it's totally worth it.
- Smoking is less common (and less welcome) here than it is in some other parts of the country.
- The city of San Diego is built on hills some of which are very steep.
- We are a car oriented community. The city is really spread out, and though the trolley system is good, it would be difficult to live without a car. Traffic is really only bad during rush hour though.
- Lock your car!
- If you enjoy outdoor activities, you are in paradise.
- List your priorities before looking for a community to live in. E.g. Nightlife, schools, noise, commuting, etc.
- If you have kids (or want to have kids) do your research about the public schools, before you buy a home! There are some great schools but also some very bad ones.
- It can be quite expensive to live here.
- People drive crazy when it rains.
- Do not go to Tijuana right now, it is very dangerous.
- Although the coast remains a comfortable temperature, a little ways inland it will be hot.
- San Diego County has a very wide variety of geographies, climates, and cultures in a relatively small area.
- Enjoy the natural and free things SD offers (beaches, parks, hiking, perfect weather).