The UC San Diego Library seeks to provide all users with a welcoming, comfortable, and safe environment promoting intellectual exploration and learning, access to well-managed and diverse library collections, and the help of knowledgeable staff. The Library’s Food and Drink Policy seeks to balance the comfort and convenience of Library users with the need to protect and preserve Library and University resources.
Food and drink are permitted in most public spaces of Library buildings within the following guidelines. Areas with more restrictive policies are noted below.
All Library users are expected to:
Be considerate of others using the Library.
- Do not consume smelly, messy, or noisy food in spaces where it will interfere with others’ use or enjoyment of the Library.
- Clean up any trash, crumbs, and small spills when finished.
Be respectful of Library collections, equipment, and furnishings.
- Take care with food and drink around books and other library materials, computers, equipment, carpets, and furniture.
- Make sure hands and surfaces are clean when handling Library materials.
Be responsible with food and drink in the Library.
- Use covered, spill-proof containers when possible.
- Properly dispose of trash and leftovers.
- Deposit bottles, cans, and other recyclables in designated recycling bins.
Report larger spills, accidents, or damage immediately to Library staff.
Areas where more restrictive policies are in place:
- Special Collections & Archives: No food or drink.
- Digital Media Lab: No food or drink.
- Data & GIS Lab: Covered drinks only.
- Instructional classrooms with computers: Covered drinks only.
- Areas directly among books and other library materials: Food and drink discouraged; handle materials with care and keep surfaces clean.
- Near scanners, copiers, printers, and microfilm reader/printers: Food and drink discouraged.
- Follow any posted policies in the area you are using.
- Delivery to Library buildings (e.g., pizza delivery), excessive quantities of food or drink, large group meals, and other distracting or disruptive activities are prohibited.
- Distribution of food or drink in Library public spaces is not permitted unless authorized in advance by Library Administration. Direct questions to Erin O’Brien by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 858-534-1235.
- Consumption of alcohol is prohibited in Library buildings, with the exception of legal-aged guests at authorized Library events where alcohol is served.
- Cooking, cooking appliances, and open flames are prohibited in Library public spaces.
The Library reserves the right to ask anyone to relocate, remove, or dispose of food and drink in case of complaints or if found to be in violation of this Policy.
Failure to cooperate with Library employee requests regarding food and drink or to comply with posted policies constitutes a violation of the UC San Diego Library Use & Conduct Policy.